How to Enroll & What to Expect
I need you to help me feel ready and eager, even if I also feel scared.
Make sure we both have time to think and talk about our feelings. Your ideas and feelings shape mine. I need you to show me confidence. This is a big step for our family!
Help me practice saying goodbye to you so I can get ready to join the school group easily. Kindergarten is different than preschool or child care where parents might stay with a child for some time until they feel ready to say goodbye. Help me learn to be on my own with my teacher and fellow students.
Be delighted to see me after my day at school! Be ready to ask specific questions about what we did that day and who my new friends are.
I need you to let the school know that I am coming.
- Call and visit my school the year before I start. Each school district has its own rules, so it is important to talk to them. Research schools here.
- Visit my teacher and describe what I know and can do.
- Share things happening in my life that affect how I feel and act.
- Find out about any special needs I have.
- Learn about our family's rights in the school.
- Learn about school and community services we might need, especially if we speak a language other than English.
I need you to know what the school expects from me and my family.
- Meet with my teacher to see what he or she expects me to know and be able to do. School has changed since you went!
- Get an up-to-date list of my immunizations.
- Find out what information my school needs about me and when they need it. My school might need a copy of my birth certificate, immunization record, or proof of address.
- Find out when teachers set aside time to meet with parents. If those times don't work, let me know what times do work.
- Ask the teachers what kind of help they expect me to get from my family at home.
- Volunteer to help at my school.