My Social & Emotional Skills
I need to feel excited and comfortable about starting kindergarten.
- Let me know you're excited about me starting kindergarten.
- Give me a chance to visit my school before I start.
- Listen to my thoughts and ideas about school.
- Play a game with me to pretend I'm in school already.
I need to know what kindergarten will be like.
- Teach me to follow directions by giving me simple steps.
- Help me learn how to share with other children, stand in line, wait my turn, and sit in a circle.
I need to feel good about myself.
- Pay attention to me and listen to my ideas.
- Help me feel good about all the things I can do.
- Praise me for my strengths.
- Be patient and let me develop at my own pace.
- Teach me that all my feelings are okay, but not all my actions are okay. For example, it's okay to be upset, but it's not okay to hit others.
- Teach me ways to calm myself down when I get frustrated.
I need to get along with others.
- Show me ways to make new friends.
- Help me understand how I can be friends with children who are different from me.
- Teach me what to do when someone hurts my feelings.
I need to know how to talk with others and to listen.
- Talk with me about things I'm interested in.
- Teach me how to know when it's my turn to speak and when I need to listen.
- Teach me words to describe my feelings and needs, and when to use them.