Support My Family, Culture & Language
I need my school to welcome my family.
- Put up welcoming signs in the language I speak at home.
- Learn about my community and culture before I arrive.
- Let my family know who to go to if we have ideas, questions, or concerns.
- Invite us to participate in the school, classroom and Parent Teacher Association.
My family and I want all the grown-ups at my school to know and respect my culture, my learning style and my family's needs.
- Understand that school may be my first introduction to cultures and languages other than my own.
- Let me know if my classroom teacher and others at school can speak my home language.
- Invite my family and me to share information with my teacher and classmates about my family and culture.
- Support my family culture by putting me in a class with other children who share my home language and culture.
- Let me know that speaking my language strengthens all my language skills.